WHY YOU NEED A HEALTHY GUT
A healthy gut is essential for maintaining your health and resilience and aiding recovery.
Our healthy gut reboot is designed to help you restore gastrointestinal balance.
We’ve also included a digestion smoothie recipe to soothe your gut, boost digestive enzymes, and nourish beneficial gut micro-organisms (microbiota).
HEALTHY GUT NUTRITION
Think of your gut as your engine room that the rest of your body depends on to function, create energy, harmonise your mood, maintain your life, and protect you from disease-causing pathogens.
Your gut microbiome consists of trillions of micro-organisms that keep your engine room running. And they need to be fed the proper nutrients to keep them in top condition.
That means eating gut-friendly food and ditching everything that undermines gut health.
Start by cleaning out your fridge and pantry and get rid of artificially coloured and flavoured food and drinks • foods high in sugar • highly processed foods • lollies • and junk food.
Highly processed foods contain chemical additives, preservatives, and transfats that undermine gut health. And they are devoid of the nutrients your microbiome needs.
Then start eating ‘real-food’ – fresh, unprocessed, biodynamic, and organic foods to gain maximum nutrition from the food you eat.
If you need inspiration, look at The Mediterranean Diet and recipes.
FOODS THAT FEED YOUR MICROBIOME
- Fermented Foods – kimchi, sauerkraut, fermented beets, kefir, kombucha, miso, tempeh, ‘live’ cultured organic Greek yoghurt.
- Prebiotic Foods – oat bran, inulin, green banana powder, acacia powder, partially hydrolyzed guar gum (PHGG) , licorice root, slippery elm, marshmallow root, konjac root, organic spirulina.
- Vegetables – avocado, broccoli, leeks, sweet corn, cauliflower, Jerusalem artichoke, artichokes, beetroot, paprika, leeks, celery, onions, garlic, mushrooms, asparagus, fennel, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, Asian greens, pumpkin, sweet potato, English spinach, radish, watercress, asparagus, red capsicum, cucumber, tomatoes (really ripe off the vine), zucchini, peas, seaweed, traditionally cured black olives.
- Fruit – pineapple, papaya, apples, pears, berries, really ripe bananas, mango, lime, lemon, citrus, and dates.
- Nuts – almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, nut pastes, and nut milks.
- Coconut – milk, cultured yoghurt, kefir, cold-pressed oil, flour.
- Sweeteners – small amounts of pure date syrup for sweetening, pure maple syrup, and raw honey. Ditch refined sugar.
- Herbs – turmeric, thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary, parsley, ginger, coriander, cumin, fennel, cayenne, cardamom, lemon balm, dill, aloe vera, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, caraway, star anise.
- Drinks – pure water, chamomile and peppermint tea, green tea, ginger tea, Pu-erh tea, chicory root tea, dandelion root tea, licorice root tea, cacao, turmeric golden milk.
- Seeds and Grains – brown and wild rice, chia, golden linseed, amaranth, buckwheat, millet, sorghum, quinoa, hemp seeds, rye, and sesame seeds.
- Legumes – lentils, chickpeas, peas, kidney beans, navy beans, black beans, soybeans, pinto beans, cannellini beans. Always soak whole grains and legumes overnight (7 hours) and rinse before cooking to reduce phytic acid.
- Cold-pressed Oils – olive oil, sesame oil, walnut oil, algae oil, hemp oil, avocado oil.
HEALTHY GUT DIGESTION SMOOTHIE
Digestive enzymes play a crucial role in breaking down the food you eat. They are proteins your body makes to speed up chemical reactions that turn nutrients into substances that your digestive tract can absorb.
A lack of digestive enzymes can lead to various common gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms, including bloating, indigestion, burping, excessive flatulence, heartburn, nausea, constipation, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain.
Poor digestion can also lead to malnourishment (even if you eat a healthy diet) because your body cannot effectively absorb nutrients.
However, certain raw foods are rich in enzymes that support healthy digestion.
In our digestion smoothie recipe, you combine blended apple with cultured coconut kefir and partially hydrolysed guar gum (PHGG) to create a creamy drink that soothes your gut, aids digestion and nourishes beneficial gut micro-organisms (microbiota).
100 ml natural coconut kefir.
2 ripe organic apples finely diced.
1/2 small avocado or 1 ripe banana.
1-2 teaspoons of PHGG.
1 teaspoon pure, raw honey (optional – if sweetening is required).
2 tablespoons of Coyo cultured Greek coconut yoghurt.
Pour the coconut kefir into your blender and slowly add the diced apple until it forms a creamy texture.
Add the avocado (or banana), honey, yoghurt, and blend.
Finally, add the PHGG powder.
Pour into a tall glass and drink with a chewing motion.
HEALTHY GUT RECIPE NOTES
Partially hydrolysed guar gum (PHGG) is a prebiotic fibre that promotes the growth of beneficial gut bacteria and helps relieve gastrointestinal symptoms.
Contact us if you have problems sourcing PHGG. We stock our own PHGG dispensary product for our clients and we can supply you.
Kefir contains the probiotic lactobacillus kefiri, which can inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria and help restore the balance of friendly bacteria in your gut.
We recommend natural or Greek style Coyo Coconut Yoghurt because it is unsweetened, pure, and contains live cultures.
If you live in Western Australia, we have a beautiful local brand of Living Coconut Kefir by Greens Kitchen. They also have a store locator on their website so you can find your local stockist.
When you buy kefir, check the ingredients because some products are misleading. If you cannot buy natural kefir with live cultures, use 100ml of activated, unsweetened almond milk and 1 probiotic capsule.
Raw honey and bananas are rich in amylase, an enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates and starches. And avocados have the digestive enzyme lipase that digests fats.
You could also add other enzyme-rich fruits to your digestion smoothies, such as fresh or frozen organic mango (delicious in a smoothie), pineapple, or a slice of ripe papaya.
Create a healthy gut digestion smoothie you and your microbiome will love!Shop Now